Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 15: Start Spreading The News

This past weekend, I went up to New York City. My ostensible purpose was to visit some dear friends and in one weekend, wreak unto that city the combined sundering of the Blackout of 1977, the Trash Strike of 2006, the Draft Riots of 1863, and the Great Fire of 1835. I'd say I managed about 70% of the ruin I was capable of. Clearly I'll have to return soon and finish what I started.

But an only slightly lesser goal was to get a rich sampling of vegan cuisine, and few municipalities would I trust to furnish me with such more than the most tight-assed on the eastern seaboard (or the world?).

After riding a Megabus (I'm not even going to get into what a nightmare that bus line was, both up and back, never ride them) to midtown, and a train to Harlem, I was greeted on the street by a parade of demigoddesses bearing a slice of vegan birthday cake, candles and all. Promptly devoured. Delicious! Not quite Vegan Treats, but hella good.

In the morning, I ate a bagel from H&H Bagel Co, straight up, sitting on a barrier in the middle of 7th Avenue (I think that's what it was). I almost got clipped by a Mini.

Lunch, pita bites and edamame hummus from Trader Joe's. For like 3 bucks. And they said NYC was expensive.

For the big dinner, a pack of us went out to Soy & Sake, a very nice vegan-friendly Japanese restaurant in the Chelsea district of lower Manhattan. I had a vegetarian sushi plate and raced through an excellent martini called a Dirty Samurai (3 soy vodka, organic sake, olive juice). A fitting way to start, since throughout the night's succeeding events, I then proceeded to channel my inner Zatoichi.

In the morning, we went out for brunch at The Sunburnt Calf, a cozy Australian joint in midtown. Surprisingly, they were able to accommodate me with a veggie burger. They also gave us free shots (like four rounds??) while we waited for our table, those Aussies can party! Had to make frequent runs a few doors down to the sports bar to watch the Steelers. I blacked out for a decent long stretch there, which is a shame because apparently I missed a black-and-gold bedecked demi-mantis showing up and drinking my Bloody Marys.



Speaking of, there's been precious little UltraMantis Black up on here since Project UMB kicked into gear. Time to fix that. As CHIKARA moves into the last phase of the season, it has become necessary to update everyone on the many storylines that will be coming to a head. To that end, CHIKARA has released some "Previously On" videos. These are exceptional, and you can see the very obvious love of all things comic-book shining through. UMB figures pretty prominently throughout the first vid, and towards the end of the second (especially the Mussolini-like address at about 5:02).



No comments:

Post a Comment